The Department of Nursing is one of the most important ones, as its members are involved in the activities of all departments. The total staff strength is over 1300, and many are involved in various committees of the hospital. The School of Nursing, housed in the stately structure of the Nurse’s Hostel since it’s inception in 1926, mainly undertakes the education of nursing students and trained staff. It fosters a three years’ Undergraduate Nursing Course to which 120 students (after H.S.C.) are admitted annually on an ” Earn and Learn ” basis.
Total Nursing Staff at K.E.M. Hospital is 1305 which is as below :
|Sr. No.||Designation||No. of Posts.|
|3||Sr.Asstt. Matrons :||3|
|4||Sister Tutors :||28|
|5||Junior Asst. Matrons :||4|
|6||House Keeper :||1|
|7||Public Health Nurse :||1|
|8||Theatre Supdt. :||2|
|9||Sister Incharge :||103|
|10||Staff Nurses :||760|
|11||Ward Assistants :||31|
|12||Theatre Assistants :||15|
|13||Student Nurses to Dip. In GNM :||300|
Staff Nurses with Special Training :
|Sr. No.||Designation||No. of Posts.|
|1||Neonatology Nursing :||3|
|2||Psychiatric Nursing :||1|
|3||Oncology Nursing :||3|
|4||Neurosurgery Nursing :||2|
|5||Paediatric Nursing :||50|
|6||Intensive Care Nursing :||10|
|8||Operation Theatre Technique :||2|
|9||Staff Nurses :||5|
Activities and Facilities for the Nursing Staff
School of Nursing
School of Nursing, KEM Hospital, Parel, Mumbai 400 012.
The School of Nursing, housed in the stately structure of the Nurse’s Hostel since it’s inception in 1926, mainly undertakes the education of nursing students and trained staff.
It fosters a three years’ Undergraduate Nursing Course to which 120 students (after H.S.C.) are admitted annually on an ” Earn and Learn ” basis. Through this period, they are exposed to a well planned theoretical and clinical preparation. The first year builds them in Anatomy and Physiology, the Allied Sciences, Nursing Fundamentals and Community Health Nursing. Through the Second year, the students are taught Medical and Surgical Nursing, Psychiatric Nursing, Paediatric Nursing and Advanced Practical Nursing. Midwifery, Professional Trends and Community Health Nursing are their main subjects in the final year. The school is well equipped with teaching aids and a library, that are conducive to better learning. All through the three years, the students are posted in different fields for an extensive practical experience, including urban and rural community areas. The vast hospital with all its superspecialities is so rich in clinical experience. Students have been known to manage single handedly, especially in times of emergency. It is indeed a privilege to be trained at the KEM Hospital that has such international standing.
At the close of each year, the students have to qualify through a Maharashtra Nursing Council examination. On completion of her course, the fully trained professional completes her recognition on acquiring Maharashtra Nursing Council Registration.
Besides professional education, the students are molded towards an all round development. Extra curricular activities are conducted with the purpose of developing individual talents and also extend recreation and entertainment. All the students are members of the Students Nurses Association which is the branch of the National Association which is the branch of the National Professional Organisation, The trained Nurses Association of India. Students are encouraged to participate and compete in local, state and national conference and competitions.
The School of Nursing also conducts educative programme for Nursing professionals, both of the KEM Hospital and of hospitals at local, state and national levels. Short term courses and workshops have so far been conducted in the areas of Nursing education, Maternity Nursing, Neonatal Nursing, Surgical Nursing, Psychiatric Nursing and Critical care Nursing. In service education, incidental and planned is imparted to the Nursing staff. The Nursing Faculty is always represented into the Hospital Infection Control Committee and other Departmental Committees, by Sister Tutors whose valuable contribution has all too often been appreciated.
The School of Nursing has a teaching faculty of 23 tutors, including the Principal Tutor Sister A.A.Gurjar. The tutors, mainly graduates and postgraduates in Nursing, work tirelessly towards the achievements of the Institution and by their contributions have also proved their worth at state and national levels. They keep themselves updated on professional and other spheres. It must be mentioned here, that very recently even the Inspection Committee of the Indian Nursing Council had highly appreciated the functioning of the School of Nursing, KEM Hospital.
Admission Information for the Academic Year beginning in August 2010
Application forms will be available from the Cash Section of the Lokmanya Tilak Hospital (Sion Hospital) Cash section from 11.00 Am – 2.00 PM
The last date of submission of application forms is 19.6.2010 – 4 .00 PM . The completed form is to be submitted in the Gynecology Hall on the first floor of the college building.
List of candidates for interview will be displayed on the Notice Board of Nurses Home of Lokmanya Tilak Hospital on 1.7.2010. at 2.00 PM.
Admission to the Diploma Course in Nursing and MidwiferyThe following is only a guide to the rules applicable for admission to the General Nursing & Midwifery Training conducted at the following institutions run by the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai.. These are not the official rules – nor are they complete in all respects.. The official rules can only be obtained from the prospectus issued at the time of admission.1. B.Y.L. Nair Hospital, Dr. Nair Road, Mumbai Central, Mumbai-400 008.Tel. No.23081490-99 2. K. E. M. Hospital, Parel, Mumbai-400 012. Tel. No.
3. L. T. M. G. Hospital, Sion, Mumbai-400 022. Tel. Nos. 24076381-90
4. Dr. R. N. Cooper Hospital, Vile Parle, Mumbai-400 056. Tel. No. 26207254.
5. H. B. M. G. Hospital, Borivali, Mumbai-400 092. Tel. No. 28932461.RULES FOR ADMISSION TO DIPLOMA NURSING COURSE
1. Approximately, a total of 250-300 students will be admitted annually to the above institutions
2. The candidate must have passed Higher Secondary School Certificate Examination ( 1 0 + 2) of the Maharashtra State Board of Higher Secondary Education or an equivalent Examination preferably with science subjects from any recognised institution in Maharashtra State and should have secured a minimum of 45% marks. However, in case of Backward Class candidates, a minimum of 35% marks is acceptable.
3. Provided candidates with the above requisite qualifications are not available in sufficient numbers, then candidates who have passed the Xllth Standard (10+2) Examination of the Maharashtra State Board of Higher Secondary Education in any subjects or/and any stream (other than the science stream) and have secured a minimum of 45% marks in case of Open Category candidates and minimum of 35% marks in case of Backward Class candidates shall be considered for admission subject to the condition that they have passed Xth Standard Examination from Maharashtra State Board of Secondary Examination or an equivalent examination with English and Biology and/or General Science from recognised institutions from Maharashtra.
4. Five percent of the available seats are reserved for the candidates who have passed the Auxiliary Nurse Midwifery Course provided they possess the requisite qualifications and fulfill all other conditions specified for this course.
5. ANM training i.e. 10+1 & 1/2 years ANM training should also have passed 10+2 or its equivalent examination.
6. Age limit for admission as on 31st July Minimum – 17 years. (No relaxation) Maximum – 35 years
7. Admissions will be given on the basis of marks obtained at 10 + 2 Examination and Interview.
8. Reservation for B. C. candidates will be applicable as per rules prevailing at the time of admission. Reservations exists under various categories.
RULES FOR THE ADMISSION TO THE SCHOOLS OF NURSING FOR THE GNM (DIPLOMA) COURSE
The form (supplied with the prospectus) must be submitted either in person or by registered post accompanied by certified true copies of all the certificates asked for, including the caste certificate if any. Incomplete application will be rejected.
The Dean will not be responsible for any delay in receiving the application forms due to postal delay or any other reason. Applications received after the due date will not be considered. Please post early to avoid delay.
Candidates must complete 17 years of age on or before 31st July and should be below 35 years of age as on 31st July.Candidates should have secured not less than 45% marks in HSC with PCB (for Backward Class Candidates, not less than 35% of marks) in H. S. C. Examination with English as one of the subjects.
Candidates must be able to read, write and speak Marathi with facility.
Candidates should have passed 10th, 11th, 12th standard examination only from the State of Maharashtra.
Application should be submitted with the certified true copies of the following:–
– Caste Certificate from competent authority
– School/College Leaving Certificate.
– Marks sheets of 10th, 11 th & 12th standards.
– Attempt certificate of 10th & 12th standards.
– One passport size recent photograph.
– Marriage Certificate (if candidate is married)
Original certificates should be produced at the time of interview, if not Candidates will not get the caste benefit.
One year gap between 11th & 12th only will be considered.
Candidate giving false information in the application or in its accompaniments is liable to be discontinued from the training at any time.
Once the candidate is discontinued from the training she is not eligible for readmission any where in the Corporation.
Once the candidate is admitted to a particular school, he/she will not be allowed to change over to another school of nursing.
Candidate will be admitted for the course subject to their clearing the medical fitness examination by an Examiner of the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai.
Once the candidate is admitted will not be allowed to discontinue the course unless he/she pays a fine of Rs.2000/-.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
Selection for admission shall be strictly on 10 + 2 Exam, merit and interview.
Percentage will be converted as follows:
Deduction: Passing H. S. C. irrespective of attempt certificate for every gap of 6 months 2% will be deducted
Nurse – Patient Ratio
|General Ward :||
1 : 6 with 50% leave reserve.
|Intensive Care Unit :||1 : 3 with 35% leave reserve.|
|Operation Theatre :||1 Staff Nurse per table per shift with 25% leave reserve.|
|OPD & Department :||1 Staff Nurse for each department or OPD 25% leave reserve.|
|Sister Tutor :||By selection – Municipal Medical Staff Selection Board.|
|Other Nursing Staff :||By virtue of service seniority.|
|Student Nurses :||Central Selection from Municipal Health Office.|
Nursing Staff Represent on Following Committiees
Annual performance appraisal is done regularly, and Nursing staff of different wards & departments are appreciated at Institutional and Central (Mumbai Municipal Corporation) levels. And what is more – the Mayor’s award is always bagged by a student or Staff Nurse or Sister Incharge from our institution.